EVERYONE WANTS FAMINE TO END
But can anyone do anything to stop it? Will the starving be with us for ever? The scale of the problem is vast. In the Asian, African and Latin American countries, well over 500 million people are living in what the World Bank has called "absolute poverty". Every year 15 million children die of hunger.
WHAT CAN WE DO TO STOP THE FAMINE?
Go vegetarian! Or better still go vegan! That is the first step to take. You will be helping to alleviate human famine by taking less out of the World's finite resources. And you will be boycotting cruelly-produced products from the slaughterhouses.
ANIMALS DO NOT PRODUCE FOOD. THEY WASTE IT
It takes about 30 lb of cattle feed to produce 1 lb of beef. With the advent of factory farming over the last decades, there has been a marked increase in the consumption of grain by the West. For example: the total consumption of cereals per head of the population each year is one tonne. But only 155 lb is eaten directly, mainly in the form of bread. The rest is eaten by farm animals. In stark contrast, the grain consumed per head in the developing countries averages about 420 lb each year. The majority of this being eaten directly. Millions and millions of animals are imprisoned in cages.
In one average lifetime, one Briton consumes: 8 cattle, 36 pigs, 36 sheep, 15 rabbits, 760 poultry and half a ton of fish.
THIS MEANS THAT 3,000 FARM ANIMALS ARE SLAUGHTERED IN BRITAIN EVERY MINUTE OF EVERY WORKING DAY
These animals are fed a diet of valuable vegetable protein, some of which has been imported from the developing countries. For example, Britain has imported potential famine relief food from such countries as Ethiopia and India. In Britain only 8% of the cultivated land is used to grow food for direct human consumption. Most of the remaining 92% is used to grow food for animal consumption.
We should be using the land to grow food more suitable for humans. Britain's present population is about 56 million, but we are capable of feeding a population of 250 million on an all-vegetable diet.
Despite the simple arithmetic that food animals are protein factories in reverse, the West is busy exporting factory farms to the Third World and the multinational corporations are selling the macho image of meat consumption to the developing countries, as a marker of western civilisation.
EATING ANIMALS NOT ONLY SUPPORTS THE CRUEL REARING AND SLAUGHTER OF MILLIONS AND MILLIONS OF INNOCENT ANIMALS, IT PROMOTES WORLD FAMINE
For example: a field of 10 acres (five football pitches) produces the following: 60 People growing SOYA, 24 people growing WHEAT, 10 people growing MAIZE, 2 people growing CATTLE.
The Overseas Aid Charity for Vegetarians & Vegans is
(British Registered Charity No. 232208, Inland Revenue Ref XN8555)
FEEDS THE HUNGRY WITHOUT EXPLOITING ANIMALS
The Fragile Environment of Developing Countries cannot support TWO populations
Humans and their Food Animals.
For over 30 years VEGFAM has provided short and long-term Relief to People who have been the victims of Drought, Flood, Cyclone or War in over 40 countries. Our Supporters control how much of their Donation goes on Administration since VEGFAM operates three separate Funds for the use of Donors/Testators the particulars of which are:
GENERAL DONATIONS paid into a/c No 65023307 00 will be apportioned (by % shown) between
PROJECTS (91%) a/c No 65023323 00
Administration Expenses (7%) a/c No 65023310 00
Office Building Fund (2%) a/c No 65023336 53
The Co-operative Bank plc, 242 High Street, EXETER, Devon, EX4 3QB, Sort Code 08-92-90. (Midland Banks a/cs retained for use by existing Donors). Postal cheques, IMO's, MO's and PO's to Lydford address, please.
UK SUPPORTERS ARE INVITED TO PAY DONATIONS DIRECT TO ANY OF THESE ACCOUNTS.
USA the American Vegan Society has agreed to take U.S. dollar donations and make them available to VEGFAM in British Currency. Please make your cheque payable to AVS. Donations will go to VEGFAM's General Donations accounts unless you specify it is all for PROJECTS. The American Vegan Society, 501 Old Harding Way, PO Box H, MALAGA, N.J. 08328-0908 (Phone (609) 694 2887 Fax (609) 694 2288).
Australia VEGFAM has a PROJECTS Donations account at Westpac Banking Corporation (Sydney Office), 341 George Street, Sydney, NSW 2000. BSB & a/c no. 732-000 74-8282.
Tel/Fax Lydford (01822) 820203 [if you are outside the UK: +44 1822 820 203] or (01550) 721197 for more details - Covenant Forms/Bankers Order Forms etc (& self catering visitors accommodation) or write (SAE appreciated) to: VEGFAM, The Sanctuary, Nr Lydford, Okehampton, Devon, EX20 4AL, UK. Website: www.veganvillage.co.uk/vegfam/ Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT
Related Vegan Views articles...
Cross-reference: Third world + Famine Relief
Related Vegan Views articles...